Ki no Kotori
Photo by Master Edward Hauschild, 2019
Ki no Kotori 紀小鳥
aka Tace of Foxele, Maria Katerina von Adlerhof, Szabo Maria, Kári Gilsson, Ægileif in kyrra
Ki no Kotori 紀小鳥 is a 10th century (Heian Era) Japanese courtier who has taken Buddhist vows（Heian Era). She is my primary Persona.
Momoyama-era garb, 2017. Photo by Lord Alfgeirr skytja
Kamakura-era garb, 2008. Photo by Lord Alfgeirr skytja.
Tace of Foxele is 12th century Anglo-Saxon lady living in Norman-occupied England, at Foxele (modern Foxholes), in Yorkshire, 9 miles south of Scarborough.
11th century Anglo-Saxon garb, 2004. Photo by Lord Alfgeirr skytja.
Maria Katerina von Adlerhof is a 16th century Austrian, in the service of the Habsburg Imperial Court in Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.
In Austrian Garb, 1996. Photo by Richard Gilson.
No photos yet for my other persona.
Link to Calontir Armorial – http://armorial.calontir.org/Pages/KiTorame.htm
History in the SCA:
Summer’s End Tournament, Barony of the Flame, Midrealm, 1993. I’m on the left with the red bandana.
* I started in the SCA in 1991, in the Barony of the Flame (Louisville, KY), Middle Kingdom
* Originally I was a heavy-weapons fighter. Injuries have sidelined me.
* AOA awarded by King Jafar and Queen Catherine, Midrealm 3/12/1994 for Service as Chronicler and at Demos.
* Became Squire to Sir David Dragonhawk, 9/24/1994
* Baronial award: Order of the Flamberge by Baroness Cordelia Tichy, Barony of the Flame, 1995, for Service at Demos.
* Moved to Calontir after I met my husband, Alfgeirr skytja. We lived in Coeur d’Ennui from 1998-2001.
* We moved to Dubuque in 2001 and started the Riverwatch contact group in mid-2002. It disbanded in 2006. After that, we were honorary members of the Shire of Deodar.
* Golden Swan awarded by King Valens and Queen Susannah for Calligraphy & Illumination 5/24/2003
* Torse awarded by King Joe-Angus and Queen Phaedra for service to the Riverwatch contact group 1/31/2004
* We moved to the Kansas City metro area in December 2012 and live in the Shire of Cum an Iolair.
* First event: Summer’s End Tournament, Barony of the Flame, Middle Kingdom, Sept. 1991.
*Granted entrance to the Order of the Calon Lily by King Xerxis II and Queen Belanna for Japanese Poetry and Research 9/15/2018
*Apprenticed to Ylva jarlkonna Jonsdottir 2/2/2019
* Link to Calontir OP is here.
Fighting in the snow, Barony of Fenix, Midrealm, 1994. I’m in the Red and Green armor.
Groups and Affiliations:
* Current Group: Shire of Cum an Iolair, Calontir.
* Previous Groups: Shire of Deodar, Riverwatch contact group (Dubuque, IA), Barony of Coeur d’Ennui (all Calontir), Barony of the Flame (Midrealm)
* Guilds, Households, etc: Scribal guild, Bardic guild (Calontir), apprenticed to Ylva jarkkonna Jonsdottir 2019-present, squired to Sir David Dragonhawk (Midrealm) 1994-present, House Drachenstein (Midrealm) 1992-1994.
Being awarded the Golden Swan by Queen Susannah, Barony of Forgotten Sea, 2003. Photo by Verla Herschell.
Granted entrance to the Order of the Calon Lily by King Xerxis II and Queen Belanna, Queen’s Prize, Shire of Crystal Mynes, September, 2018. Photo by Edward Hauschild (Vilhelm Lich).
* Local Offices: Exchequer (Shire of Cum an Iolair); Past: Talon Herald (Shire of Cum an Iolair) Chatelaine (Shire of Cum an Iolair) Deputy Seneschal, Chronicler (Barony of the Flame); Contact person, Herald, Knight’s Marshal, Exchequer (Riverwatch)
* Regional Offices: Assistant Signet (Southern Oaken Region, Midrealm, 1994), Lanner Herald Committee (Calontir 2016-2018)
* Kingdom Offices: None
* SCA-wide Offices: None
* Other service: Autocrat of five events: Summer’s End (1993), Collegium (1994), Christmas Tourney (1993, 1994) in Barony of the Flame, and Triskelion at Riverwatch (2004)
The Riverwatch Contact Group, Dubuque, Iowa, 2003. Photo by Lord Gaston le Mieux.
Members of the Shire of Cum an Iolair singing at Feast of Eagles, 2017. Photo by Verla Herschell
Roderick Noise Maker, HE Margaurite des Baux, and Ki no Kotori playing at the Cum an Iolair Christmas Party, 2018. Photo by Mistress Lilian Bowyer
* Basic Calligraphy: Carolingian, Insular Majuscule, Insular Minuscule, Half-Uncial, Shodo (many times)
* Scroll layout (many times)
* The Medieval Middle East (Collegium, Barony of the Flame, 1994)
* How to do Documentation (Riverwatch, 2002)
* T-Tunic Tutorial (Riverwatch, 2002, 2003)
* Let’s Renga! (Riverwatch, 2003)
* Let’s Tanka! (Riverwatch, 2004)
* Successful Event Planning (RUSH, Le Grande Tent, 2003; Flynthill 2005)
* Panel: Design Elements of 16th Century Japanese Clothing (Clothiers, 2017)
* Kosode Construction: Stitches, Tips, and Tricks (Clothiers, 2017)
Displaying hand-made Anglo-Norman garb, Clothiers 2016. Photo by Verla Herschell.
Gratitude Scroll for the Busted Lift, a pub that let the Riverwatch SCA contact group meet in their building. 2002. It was later destroyed in a fire at the bar.
* My SCA blog is Foxeholly
* Some Scribal Examples can be found here.
* Documentation for past projects:
* Song: The Iowegia Song 2003
* Akikawa Nikki (A Poetic Diary) 2005
* Notes from Successful! Event Planning (2005)
* Wimples and Zukin 2008
* 20 Poems from the Shōyōshū (小葉集 Small Leaf Collection) 2015
* Song: Kestrel’s Lullabye 2015
* Poems from Daisougen Nikki 大草原日記 The Great Prairie Diary 2016
* An Examination of Zukin 2016
* Kosode Construction: Stitches, Tricks, and Tips 2017
* Song: The Falcon’s Cry 2017
* Composing and Designing a Japanese SCA Scroll 2017
* Kotori no Uta Hyakushu 小鳥の歌百首 (A Little Bird’s Song 100-Poem Linked Sequence) 2018
Calon Cross for Saito Takauji by Ki no Kotori (detail) 2017